Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Through the Eyes of a Child

Yesterday I was reminded of how simple life is through the eyes of a child. While we were getting dinner ready and getting all the ingredients together my mom asked one of us to get the evaporated milk. When Stephen (my little brother) heard that he got a great idea, we should make some evaporating cheese! in his mind it made perfect sense, if regular cheese comes from regular milk then you should be able to make evaporating cheese out of evaporating milk. Very logical.

Sometimes I think that "grownups" should take a few lessons from kids, we tend to think of things in illogical ways. "Don't be silly you can't make evaporating cheese out of evaporation milk, that's just stupid." No it isn't, it is imaginative and creative. Kids have an amazing ability to see things outside of the box, they aren't limited by what everyone else says is true or acceptable. I think that this is one of the reasons that Jesus said "Let the little children come to me..." children are not hindered by impossibilities. It doesn't matter if it is physically impossible to make evaporating cheese or fly to the moon in a cardboard box, in the mind of a child anything is possible. This is true faith, the kind of faith that can move mountains, faith that is not limited by what we see with our physical eyes or what others tell us. This kind of faith comes by seeing life through the eyes and mind of a child, a place where impossibilities do not exist and where "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wonderful thing is that the Lord is interested in the big things as well as the small ones. The things that we think are small may fit into a much larger picture. Once again, "I CAN do ALL things through Christ who strenthens me." It's not you doing it, it is Christ.